I am super excited to announce I will be moving to NYC for an internship this fall. I will be living and working in the Big Apple for 4 months at BPCM (A fashion PR showroom in the Flatiron district). Click HERE to read more about the company. It is there that I will be a PR intern doing things like helping to keep up the showroom, keeping track of designer clothing samples that are being borrowed by celebrities and fashion stylists, and assisting during NYFW events. While I’ve never considered a career in PR, I believe this internship will be a nice introduction to that side of the industry– and who knows? I may end up loving it! Even if I decide to continue pursuing a career in fashion styling, this internship could open several doors for me. I’m hoping to make connections with stylists that come into the showroom to borrow clothing, as well as expand my knowledge of various aspects of the fashion industry. I want to be as well rounded as possible, in order to broaden my opportunities. I started this blog as a way to get my foot in the door of the industry, as well as combine my passion for writing and fashion, but I’m also a signed model, and of course, I am in fashion design school, working towards a B.A. in fashion design. Being able to add fashion PR to my repertoire would be a great addition.
I’ve always wanted to live in NYC ever since I visited NYU and Columbia for a college tour my sophomore year of high school. Now I get the change to do so for a few months, and test it out. While I do love my space, which is something New York City lacks, I am eager to be a part of all of the action. I cannot wait to be immersed in a city with like-minded, creative thinkers, endless food options, shopping options, and entertainment options.
A couple of weeks ago, my dad and I visited NYC to look at potential housing in person. Coming up with a list of short term apartments we could view in person that was less than a 45 minute commute in our price range, and without agency fees, prior to this trip, was NOT FUN. It may have been the most stressful thing I’ve had to deal with yet… especially since I was wrapping up my summer semester of school and had a thousand projects to deal with on top of looking for a place to live. My dad and I looked up until the very last minute, before boarding the plan, and still couldn’t come up with a substantial list. We flew into Philly and drove to NYC. Navigating the city in a car was horrible. I can definitely see why people take the subway to get from place to place. Since my dad had to be back at home Saturday morning, we only had a day to cram in looking for housing. We were up at 5am, and didn’t get to rest and stay still until 12am. It was a full day, and most of it was spent in traffic. We ended up seeing a few places in Harlem that were nice, and a spot in Soho, but we ended up selecting an apartment in Midtown from which I am able to walk to my job. Now that I am back home and literally just finished my final project for summer school, I can somewhat relax and begin to prepare for the official move.
Things I am Nervous About…
- The cost of living. As we all know living in NYC is not cheap. At all. Being that this internship is UNPAID, I am a little nervous about making sure I manage my money, and can make money while I am there. I plan on getting another job on the side that pays, but between rent, groceries, transportation costs, etc. it will be a pretty penny. If you want to help, I am raising money on Go Fund Me, I’d really appreciate whatever you’re able to donate. Even if all you can do it share my Go Fund Me, that would be a huge help! Thank you in advance.
- Navigation. Hi, my name is Niyah, and I am directionally challenged. This isn’t a great problem to have period. But, especially in NYC, it will be even more of a challenge. I am praying I’ll get the hang of the streets, and how to get from place to place on the subway. If anything, once I leave NYC, I should grow in this area, and be a lot more knowledgeable about where I am going instead of relying on my phone all the time.
- Feeling Lonely. This is something I’ve never thought I’d have to worry about, being an introvert… but I won’t have roommates where I am staying, so for the most part it will just be me. At home this would be ideal, but in a new city with lots of exciting things happening I’ll want to explore, and with friends. Luckily, a few of my classmates also have internships in NYC for the fall, so I am sure we’ll meet up and hang out.
Things I Want to Do While I am in NYC…
- Do something big for my 21st birthday. I turn 21 in October, so I am super excited to have tons of options for places to celebrate. My boyfriend will be coming up to visit during this time too.
- Build my styling/modeling portfolio. I cannot wait to collaborate with local models and photographers! There’s some decent work here in Cincinnati, but I’ll have a lot more to choose from in NYC. I’ve already started scouring Model Mayhem for casting calls. There’s also a few people I know who live in the city who I am looking forward to collaborating with. I am also hoping to sign with a modeling agency while I am out there. My agent here has been sending my portfolio out. Fingers crossed.
- Thrift. I am not really sure how much money I’ll have for anything other than survival, but hopefully I can treat myself every now and then to some shopping.
- Visit Art Museums. And anything else that’s free that I can do lol… definitely want to check out the library too.
- Afropunk. I really hope I can go to this music festival this year. I didn’t last time because it was cancelled… but again, I am poor, sooooo. Maybe I’ll just watch from a distance.
- Go to Coney Island. I love the beach. ‘Nuff said.
So the countdown begins. This is officially my last week before the big move. I can’t believe it. It still doesn’t feel real. Of course I’ll be keeping you all updated right here on the blog. I can’t wait to see what this opportunity brings. If you have any tips, advice, or notice I am missing something on my list of what I want to do in NYC, please leave a comment below!