New year, new you; back to school season is the perfect excuse to experiment with new looks! If you’re wanting to dip your toes into the world of makeup these are just a few of the must-have essentials I think everyone should have in their repertoire. This is the sixth in a nine part series that will show you some of the very best splurges and steals to include in your makeup bag for the fall.
Eye Popping Eyeshadow: Eyeshadow doesn’t always have to mean crazy obvious colors that scream you’re made up, in fact eye shadow can be a great way to add understated definition to your peepers. Neutral flattering shades that complement your skin tone can highlight the high points, as well as contour the hollows of your eyes to add depth and dimension.
- Eyeshadow Duo (look for one that has a highlight shade and a darker contour color for your crease)
- Splurge- NARS Duo Eyeshadow ($36 at Sephora)
- Steal- L’Oreal HiP Shadow Duo ($7 at Walmart)
- Matte Shadow (smooth, flat finish that looks most like your skin’s natural texture)
- Splurge- Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow ($21 at Sephora)
- Steal- NYX Matte Eyeshadow ($4.99 at Ulta)
- Shimmer Shadow (shiny finish with light reflecting properties for brightening)
- Splurge- Ardency Inn MODSTER Manuka Honey Enriched Pigments ($21 at Sephora)
- Steal- L’Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow ($6.99 at Target)
- Best Neutral Palette (A good investment piece, palettes will usually have a mix of matte/shimmer shadows in a variety of shades for day and night looks)
- Splurge- Any of the original three Urban Decay Naked Palettes ($54 at Sephora)
- Steal- Maybelline The Nudes Palette ($9.99 at Ulta)