New year, new you; back to school season is the perfect excuse to experiment with new looks! If you’re wanting to dip your toes into the world of makeup these are just a few of the must-have essentials I think everyone should have in their repertoire. This is the third in a nine part series that will show you some of the very best splurges and steal to include in your makeup bag for the fall.
The ‘my lips but better’ Lipstick: A good lipstick will elevate any look, and make the biggest difference from looking unkempt to polished. While many makeup addicts will have hundreds of lipsticks in their collections, what’s most important is to have the perfect neutral shade that translates as natural, yet refined. Reach for a lippie a few shades lighter or darker than your skin, and opt for pink, rose, mauve or peach undertones depending on your skin’s coloring to avoid being washed out.
- Matte Finish (long wearing, bold, opaque, but can be drying)
- Splurge- Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lip Color ($27 at Nordstrom)
- Steal- Milani Color Statement Matte Finish Lipstick ($5.29 at Walgreens)
- Satin Finish (offers moisture and some subtle shine)
- Splurge- Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick ($24 at Sephora)
- Steal- Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick ($5.99 at Ulta)
- Natural Finish (middle of the road option in between matte and satin)
- Splurge- Laura Mercier Lip Parfait ($25 at Sephora)
- Steal- Essence Long Lasting Lipstick ($2.99 at Ulta)
- Balm Stain (stains lips for hours, can be difficult to blend)
- Splurge- Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint ($24 at Ulta)
- Steal- Revlon Colorburst Balm Stain ($6.89 at Target)